WIDA Known Technological Issues
Several of you have reported difficulties with the TSM. DRC is hoping to resolve some, notably the corrupt content issue, with an update. This is not the same update as last week's optional update (without a new version number). You will likely receive this message and another with instructions directly from WIDA; if you are listed as a Technology Coordinator in AMS, you are on the mailing list.
WIDA ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 TSM Update Release
Later this week there will be a new TSM release. In the unlikely event that you manually visited a specific TSM management page, this release could potentially cause a testing interruption. This page is not something that you would have typically accessed during your normal TSM interactions. You would have accessed this page by going to the following URL: http://localhost:8080/admin/manageTSM (replacing localhost with the TSM machine name or IP address)
You DO NOT need to act if you have not seen the screen below before or if your setting is set to "No."
If your setting is "Yes," please change it to "No" to avoid having to manually restart the TSM to allow continued testing.
If you have questions related to the TSM update, please call DRC Customer Support at 855-787-9615 or send an email to WIDA@datarecognitioncorp.com
In light of this, Wednesday's WIDA webinar has been switched over to this topic. "This webinar will highlight what the optional TSM update will and will not fix, implications, specific scenarios on when or when not to update, recommendations, and instructions."
Webinar on Wednesday (2/17) for Local Educational Agencies: 2-3pm Eastern: Join
Looking for follow-up on questions:
- The WIDA TSM 8.0.0_1 is a separate release for those previously.
- If the TSM in use was updated or installed after 1/20/16, this optional update will not lock any student's out.
- If the TSM was installed prior to 1/20/16, any students connected to the TSM with unsent responses or an incomplete test, may require the token to be reset after this update.
Please note that last one. Unless you installed your TSM very recently, you will want either to update the TSM with no open test sessions or to have the sessions unlocked after the update.
The testing window for WIDA ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 starts Monday, February 8, 2016. Over one million test sessions have been completed in other states so far this year, and several issues have been identified.
- Bandwidth is the primary concern, particularly within your network. Downloading audio files through the TSM reduces traffic on the network, but audio files must still be transferred within your network. DRC recommends a 100 Mbps or faster LAN connection between testing devices and the TSM.
- For the Speaking domain, DRC has reduced the recommended number of concurrent testers to 25 and is recommending 5 or fewer concurrent testers if the TSM is being run on a low-end computer (less than 4 GB of RAM and 4 x 2.4 GHz processors). The TSM compresses audio to save bandwidth, but that takes some processing power. The reduced number of concurrent testers applies to the Speaking domain only.
- There are three known bugs that may or may not appear during your test administration. DRC is working on a workaround and a long-term fix to prevent the problem from happening, but at present if one of these issues occur, please contact DRC customer support:
- If you receive a “Content Error” on the testing device, particularly if multiple students are stuck on the same test item, you may have a corrupt content file on the TSM.
- Students who start the test instructions, quit without starting the test, then re-start may not be allowed to re-start.
- Specific to the Speaking domain, if the speaking response is not properly encrypted on the TSM, the response cannot be transmitted and students cannot progress in Speaking.
These bugs are occurring inconsistently and may not appear during your testing.
MDE will provide notification when workarounds and permanent fixes are available.
DRC Customer Support can be contacted at 1-855-787-9615 or WIDA@DataRecognitionCorp.com.